Friday, October 10, 2008

How To Recover The Combination Of A Brinks Lock

Ludovic Saint-Denis seen by Samuel


Samuel, Paris 18th

I know little suburb. During my college years, every morning I crossed the 93 cities and 95 by the RER D, but the reality of these cities me totally unknown. This stay in Saint-Denis has allowed me to discover more about this life that seems at once so close and so distant from the Parisian life.

The photographs were taken near the Basilica of Saint-Denis. They are the result of walking around the cathedral the kings of France, the covered market, Boulevard Carnot, boulevard Félix Faure and place of Caqueta.
life behind the neighborhood of the Basilica is not so far away from the life that animates the popular neighborhood of Barbes, where I live. Cafe terraces are full when the sun comes out, improvised flea markets, many residents find themselves on the cathedral square where young people listen to music while doing dance steps hip-hop.

At Saint-Denis, I Djalo cross, a militant for the cause of undocumented migrants. I met him during a march of illegal immigrants around the town hall, a man smiling and open despite its precarious situation. At the exit of a shop-drawing picture, I made the acquaintance of Prosper, a former Indian military who told me about his military past with nostalgia and posed for photographs of me with his regiment.
The landscape of Saint-Denis is very rich with its impressive basilica and bright, its long pedestrian street, its buildings on the terrace, tram. The experience as a journey of initiation, transforms our vision. No more shots ... Through the viewfinder of the camera, the city appears to us as it is really beautiful or not, it is there and is to be seen.
Among the pictures I took, three of them are my favorites for very different reasons: First, there is a photo of Saint-Denis where it is found in the same panorama, the Basilica and Stade de France. By taking this photo, I realized that it conveyed the symbolic impact. The entire history of Saint-Denis which is revealed: the basilica reminds us of the past prestigious of the city while the Stade de France says its modernity.
Then there's the photo of the mailbox, taken at the entrance to a stairwell of a building under renovation. This photo shows one of the recurring problems encountered in the Paris region, the undocumented and expulsions. It is a human eye on this situation.
For humor, I like the picture of this man who seems to fly something before the facade of the basilica. But that leaking? Religion? the suburbs? Maybe it is just late ...


To find my photo gallery, click the link below:
Samuel Dessons

0 comments:

Post a Comment